Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Romance of Scrooge

By Anne Holly

I have written before about what I like so much about holiday romance, though I never did intend on devoting so much of my writing career to this little faux subgenre. They just seem so magical to me – especially the autumn and winter ones, with their natural beauties. To write a holiday romance is to instantly connect with a well of emotions, memories and shared myths, and that’s a wonderful thing.

In myblog post for Daily Dose of Decadent last year, I explored Christmas romance in celebration of my own holiday story, Unwrapping Scrooge. I mentioned A Christmas Carol and how it gathers up so much of what’s special about the holidays. I wrote:

Christmas is the time when we have in our collective subconscious the two extremes –the optimistic Christmas lover, Tiny Tim, and the misanthropic cold hearted Scrooge, who wasn’t really a bad guy deep down. Really, he was just hurt by life. Now, most well-adjusted people fall some place in between, but those two extremes represent the spectrum of romance: Someone full of love, and someone who has had the love beaten out of them. Those are the characters to which I am naturally drawn – and the redemption that is achieved when the one overcomes the other, and the romance that pools in their bond when it all works out right in the end. This is likely the main reason I write so much about the holidays. It is a time of salvaging the human from the ravages of plans gone wrong, of love unrequited and of tragedy spilt over a life time.

I wrote that, and I still believe it. I am an optimist at heart, but it doesn’t come easy. Anyone who retains optimism into adulthood knows that it’s a decision one makes – not to forget or ignore all the setbacks and knocks, but to push through them and not let them get you down. This is where I’m at. Refusing to let life make a Scrooge out of me.

Now, Scrooge might appear to be an unlikely romantic icon, yet he is a character I wrestle with quite often. He and Mr. Darcy, to me, are the major templates for romantic characters. I can already hear people cursing at me, so let me repeat – Ebenezer Scrooge and Mr. Darcy are both romantic figures for me, but let me explain.

Part of what I write – why I even write in the first place – is my love of redemption. Since this is so rare and difficult in real life, I revel in my ability to create fictional accounts of characters turning their hearts around.

In the case of Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, we have a gentleman who always believed himself to be moral, upright, and always correct. He was practically perfect, and he knew it, and carried on in smugness. It wasn’t that he was a bad guy, but a life of stability, comfort and everything coming too easily had worn down his natural instincts towards kindness. In the end, Elizabeth proved to be something he couldn’t have, for all his wealth and handsomeness, and it was in this challenge – the need to work for what he wanted – that he found a reason to wake up from his stupor of indulgence and become a real man. In so doing, he discovered that the price of being practically perfect was the need to be tolerant of those not as perfect, and he was all the more perfect for it.

For me, Pride and Prejudice is about as ideal a romance as they come – memorable, remarkable, yet completely lifelike and relatable, even after all these years. A Christmas Carol is just the same; one of those stories that has become our version of Hercules myths. Scrooge belongs to all of us, and we use him to understand the world. He is a modern legend, like Mr. Darcy.

But, Scrooge represents a different sort of romantic figure. He certainly is not perfect. He is neither handsome nor moral. He makes no pretense to charitable acts, and refuses even the bare minimum of social graces. In a sense, though despicable, Scrooge was a rebel, a bad boy, an anti-hero. Sadly, an old, ornery and unattractive one, I grant you, but he was definitely witty and sharp, and kind of cool in his edgy outsider-to-polite-society way. Scrooge was ahead of his times; he kept a washer woman, but not a cook, and made his own meals. He treated the gentry as poorly as he did the lower classes. He refused to opt into consumerism. All these things, though shown as rude, are not all that bad.

Now, Scrooge was, of course, a nasty fellow. I do admit that. His opinions on workhouses (which were horrendous institutions, where not just debtors but also their innocent children were incarcerated for the crime of being poor), and his inflammatory statement about the surplus population needing to die off… Well, while this opinion still floats around the edges of some less savory political debates, I really don’t think I have to explain why I disagree.

Yet, as I said last year, Scrooge is a tragic figure, despite his cruelty. I give Scrooge more compassion than he gave to others, because his life up to that point had convinced him his self-worth was nothing more than a bankroll, which is a horrible thing for anyone to believe. Left discarded by a father who despised him, and without a mother’s love, Scrooge was raised by an institution not much less mentally cruel than the workhouses – his school years were spent in the cold embrace of the Victorian boarding school, designed to raise exacting little men for the Empire. Without a loving home life to balance this, his spirit was crushed early. Only his sister showered warmth on him, and her company was denied to him by their father.

Though talented and not unfriendless, and able to secure an apprenticeship, Scrooge spent his young manhood struggling with the lessons he’d learned at school – the absolute requirement of a stable, sizable income for making a man worthy of a wife. In pursuit of this, for the sake of a future with his fiancĂ©, he forgot the more pressing requirement: Love. She turned away when she saw how twisted he was becoming, and he didn’t know how to ask her to stay. He was on his road to filling the cashbox that had replaced his heart.

Shunned by society, except when they needed him as a financier, Scrooge continued to do what he did best – he made and traded money. Even with his business partner, there was no warmth. Only business. In this, Scrooge gives us his most valuable and enduring lesson, I think.

We all know the story from there. Scrooge’s partner, Marley, who he does describe as a friend when he begs for warmth from the spirit (an irony that bites compared to how little compassion and warmth he had shown to others), has come back to warn Scrooge. Why, we don’t really know. Perhaps Marley (who was dead to begin with, as the magnificent opening line informs us) was so remorseful of his life he had truly become compassionate and recalled Scrooge, who had been one of the closest near-friends during his life. In any event, Marley warns Scrooge, who then goes on a night journey with the ghost guides towards learning empathy and reviving his spirit. They are both gentle and harsh with him, exhibiting the same ups and downs as life – sometimes life is sweet and sometimes it is bitter, but it is always educational.

And then we have Scrooge’s grand awakening, and the thrill of his redemption, which never ceases to touch me, no matter how many versions of this story I have seen, read, consumed.

Scrooge, for me, is both a cautionary tale and a reminder that even the worst people can change. Though he is not dashing or pretty, he is a loveable character, simply because the people who least deserve love are often the ones most in need of it. There can be no doubt that his redemption is sincere, and that he turned from unheroic to heroic, at least for Tiny Tim. He had been frozen by life and loneliness, but he was saved by love – just like so many f the very best romance characters.

Romance, in essence, is a genre filled with the travails of life and tragic figures. People who learned awful lessons and took them too much to heart. But, like Tiny Tim, it is also an eternally optimistic genre. Good can win out. Love can, and must, prevail. Scrooge can become a hero, as long as someone takes an interest in his spirit and helps undo the ravages of life.

So, happy Christmas, and all the best for the New Year.


**And, in honour of the holidays, it’s my pleasure to offer a few special gifts to Decadent fans! 
I will mail one winner a copy of the book A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. If you already own the book, have no fear – I am also offering, as a second prize, a copy of one of my favourite versions, the 1951 classic starring Alastair Sims, on DVD (may be Region 1 only). And, adding to all that, I have a SECRET, electronic prize up my sleeve, so the contest is open to international readers! Winners will be drawn and announced on January 2! 
To enter, just comment, and tell me what you think of Scrooge, and which version you like best! (And, yes, the awesome Bill Murray version totally counts!)**

Anne Holly is a Canadian writer of romance and erotic-romance, as well as a mother and teacher. She has been published by Wild Horse Press, Decadent Publishing and Rebel Ink Press. Anne has found a special niche in holiday romance, and her work is characterized by its unusual heroes, sweet/spicy balance, witty dialogue, responsible citizenship, and its positive, optimistic nature. You can visit Anne at her blog (http://anneholly.blogspot.com/) or find her on Twitter @anneholly2010.

Also:

22 comments:

  1. What an intelligent, thoughtful post! I so agree with you. It's the Scrooges of the world that need our love and support. I've already got the book,so don't include me but my favorite is Michael Caine in the Muppets' Christmas Carol! I'm not a huge Michael Caine fan but I just love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara!

    I so agree - the Muppet version is really excellent. I love Gonzo's narration, and Caine is quite good - even his singing!

    I just watched the Alastair Sims 1951 version again the other night - that one ranks up there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Anne! I already have a few copies of A Christmas Carol. While I don't know if it's my *favorite* I had dreaded seeing Disney's A Christmas Carol last year (NOT a Jim Carrey fan), and they did a much better job with it than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just going to have to come up with a second (secret) prize to send to those who already have the book.

    My heart is warmed by how many people already own it. I used to think, "Oh, everyone's read/bought that!" but recently found this is not the case. I am glad to see some folks who appreciate it.

    Thanks for the comments, one and all, and keep them coming. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved you post and I agree. I don't own a copy of the book(bad me..LOL). Anyway I like Bill Murray as Scrooge he is such a wonderful actor.

    Merry Christmas :)

    koonie2888 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries, Michelle - I am relieved to find someone who I could send it to! ;)

    (And I do love the Bill Murray version.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee hee - I've added prizes! Updates should follow soon.

    HO HO HO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Bill Murray in Scrooged! I also like Patrick Stewart's portrayal in the mini-series. It isn't Christmas without watching A Christmas Carol. I also like Mickey's Christmas Carol with Mickey, Donald, Goofy and the gang. ;)

    geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! I also liked Patrick Stewart's 1999 version. The guy who played Cratchit (Richard Grant) was one of my favourite Cratchits of all time. Joel Grey's ghost of Christmas past was lovely, as well. It's a solid version, and very true to the book. If people haven't seen it yet, they should.

    The Walt Disney one was pretty great, too. One of the few versions I don't own (yet), though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yeah. Bill's version. Probably for Carol Kane...she was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post.
    The version with Alistair Sims is my favorite. Its the only one I will watch.

    Happy Holidays!!
    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like both the Alistair Sims and Reginald Owen's versions.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, I just remembered my son played Tiny Tim in a school production and forgot ALL his words. I could hear the teacher prompting him for every line. That version of the Christmas Carol has to be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel sympathy for Scrooge and his life that was devoid of affection. The one chance he had at love he blew. So I can understand his attitude even though I don't like it. His redemption though is heartwarming to see and endeared him to me.

    My favorite Scrooge is Patrick Stewart. He's dramatic and a bit of a hottie with his accent and debonair attitude. Make it so Number One.

    joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say after reading your excerpt, your Kale McKinnon might be my favorite.

    elena(at)elenagray.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Alastair Sims, Patrick Stewart and Bill Murray ones I love. I didn't warm up too well to the Reginald Owens one, but I have it on DVD - I should give it another shot this weekend.

    And, Elena - I think I love you. :D

    (Kale is one of my favourite Scrooges, too, but I'm most certainly biased.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my mind, Kale is, "Scrooge reborn as a nerdy British Johnny Depp dressed in wool."

    I dunno - that works for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that I have seen the Bill Murray version but I don't think I have seen any other versions of this. Have a great holiday season!
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many good versions of A Christmas Carol. I think my favorite is the Alister Sims. I remember going to see it at the University where my grandmother used to work, when I was little. They showed it in the gymnasium & we sat up in the balcony, front row. I remember just about hanging over the balcony wall, trying to get closer to the screen & my grandmother being in full panic mode.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'm happy to meet you all.

    Hopefully whoever wins isn't an anti-Christmas-movies-in-January sort. Oh well, books and DVDs don't spoil, so they can wait.

    Picking the winner on Jan 2!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Prizes are as follows (drawn from a stocking by my 3yo):

    booklover0226 - paperback of A Christmas Carol

    Kathryn Merkel - DVD of the 1951 version

    elaing8 - Mystery Prize, which is an ebook copy of my Christmas novella Unwrapping Scrooge.

    Barbara Elsborg - Your name was originally drawn for the DVD, but I notice you are in the UK and this is Region 1, and unlikely to work - so I offer you an ebook copy of Unwrapping Scrooge, as well.

    I will be emailing the winners today or this evening. If any of them decline their prizes, I will return to the stocking. :)

    Thanks, all, and have a wonderful New Year.
    - AH

    ReplyDelete