Saturday, November 26, 2011

Holiday Magic

 by Kathleen Ann Gallagher

One of the things I look forward to during the Holidays is the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, starring The Rockettes.  New York City is a magical place, especially around Christmas time.  It brings out the child in all of us.


Radio City Music Hall, decorated for 75th edition of The Christmas Spectacular in 2007

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is an annual musical holiday stage show presented at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The show features over 140 performers, lavish sets and costumes and an original musical score. The 90 minute revue combines singing, dancing and humor with traditional scenes in spectacular stage settings. The star performers are the women's precision dance troupe known as the Rockettes. Since the first version was presented in 1933, the show has become a New York Christmas tradition seen by more than a million visitors a year.


In 2011, the show will run from November 11 until January 2, 2012. Titled The Rockettes Magical Journey, the show will incorporate into the production new production numbers including a new 3D Live scene as well as new scenes and songs. Source: Wikipedia


When I was in Junior High School, my gym teacher, Miss J was a former Rockette.  I looked forward to her class three times a week. She was an amazing dancer, and instead of the usual exercise, we would get dance lessons.  Our class gathered in the auditorium and lined up in rows of six.
Our teacher wore tap shoes with a short shirt. Miss J had long beautiful legs.  At the end of a month’s lesson, we were able to perform a dance routine. It happened to be an all girl class, and it turned out pretty good.  It was a fantastic experience.
I don’t think it would be acceptable today, but in the sixties, she got away with it. I still remember the steps Miss J taught us, and the music, too.
I plan to attend the show with my family this year.  The best part will be the expressions on my Grandsons faces when they see the Rockettes dressed as wooden soldiers.  Later, I’ll tell them the story about how Grandma was taught by a former Rockette. Maybe I’ll even teach them the dance steps.


Family memories are precious.  Madeline, my heroine from Echoes at Dawn adores the holidays. Since she is a chef, around this time of year Madeline enjoys surprising her family with their favorite treats.



Happy Holidays everyone!


**One random commenter will receive a print copy of Echoes at Dawn, and a Rockette Christmas ornament**

You can find me here.
http://kathleensplacetoreflect.blogspot.com/?zx=6852d3f2ce62e8f9
https://twitter.com/#!/Kathleenwrites
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000735541011
http://kathleenanngallagher.net/Home.html
Buy Link: http://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Dawn-Kathleen-Ann-Gallagher/dp/1613330936



  




15 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas season. All the shows and decorations. I always watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas and The Rockettes. No matter how old I get or what the circumstances of my life, Christmas is always magical to me.
    koonie2888 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all those long, long legs, I'm sure the Rockettes made wonderful toy soldiers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen the Rockettes on television but am awed by their talent. I do enjoy NYC during the Christmas season; the decorations really put you in the holiday mood. :)

    bimmergrlmd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the Rockettes once in my life in person, and then I just watch them on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Under "holidays" in the dictionary I'm sure we'll find the Rockettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The holiday season brings out the kid in all of us, Michelle!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rockettes are one of the most graceful dance teams around. They need long legs for the kicks! lol

    Have a great holiday season, Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be the first time with our grandsons, Deena. Some of the same scenes remain, but I believe this year the scenery extends beyond the stage onto the ceiling and walls. Sounds beautiful!

    Wishes for a joyous holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the look on my grandsons faces when they see the tree, Barbara! It is quite magical!

    Hope you have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathleen! I love NYC when it's decorated for the holidays! We haven't taken our boys down to see it yet, which is surprising since we only live a few hours away. Have fun at the show this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recall my grandparents seeing the Rockets many years ago and loving it.

    Thank you for the giveaway!

    books4me67 at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to do the holiday in NYC some year. Maybe when the kids are a bit older. Have a great time at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My youngest grandson is two. Daddy and Grandpa will have to entertain him!
    Thanks, Seleste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun. I would love to see the Rockettes but it is hard to beat the magic of the season no matter where you are. Have a great holiday, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen the Rockettes in person but I do like watching their performances on tv. Have a wonderful time!
    Merry Christmas.
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only seen the Rockettes on TV during the Thanksgiving Day Parade, but they are always a joy to watch.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete