Friday, December 10, 2010

The Most Awesome Gift Ever!


By Leslie Soule


Christmas is coming up, and so is my birthday, two days before – on December 23rd. It’s always been difficult to plan birthday parties with the day being so very close to that other special day. But it’s also kinda cool because I get a bunch of gifts all around the same time. I’ve been thinking about Christmas gifts this year. I’m lucky to have a state job and not have to work another Black Friday, hopefully for the rest of my life. This gives me a good deal of relief, as I have worked retail jobs on that day and I definitely know what a nightmare it can be.

Buying gifts is always a challenge though, and it seems like my list of people to buy for grows each year. Yet what I love is that it really is the thought that counts for most people, not how much you spend. I wanted to tell you all about the most awesome gift I’ve ever gotten. It was a birthday present I received from my friend Sarah back when we were in high school. She knew I was a chocoholic even back then, and she created a most decadent surprise.

I came to school to find that she had a plate of cookies for me – chocolate cookies with Andes mints baked into them, and chocolate on top. They were the most sinfully delicious cookies I have ever eaten. Below is a recipe for Andes chocolate mint cookies, which I got from Cooks.com. I encourage you to give a gift your friend will eat quickly, but cherish for a lifetime.


ANDES CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES


3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. water
12 oz. bag chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. soda

Melt together butter, brown sugar and water. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Let stand 10 minutes to cool. Add remaining ingredients. Chill dough at least 1 hour. Roll into balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven and place 1/2 Andes mint on top of each cookie. Put back in oven for only about 10 seconds. Swirl top of cookie with a spoon.

Speaking of sinfully delicious, I will be giving away a copy of my short story “The Devil’s Bidding” in ebook form, and will also be giving away an 8 1/2” x 11” print of my painting “Bellerophon, Pegasus, and the Chimera”.

Find Leslie ~ www.lesliesoule.com

Email: falcondraco@hotmail.com


21 comments:

  1. Happy early b'day! I remember a friend who's b'day was the day after Christmas and all were so tired to celebrate but her mom made sure that it was totally a separate day and b'day for her. Both my children worked Black Friday but they weren't were the crowds were and said they were missing good deals not going to more of the smaller stores.

    I just copied this recipe! My daughter is the baker in here and loves Andes mints so we are making these for sure! The print is beautiful!! Thanks bunches and you have a beautiful holiday and birthday!

    cathiecaffey @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sounds heavenly. Chocolate is one of my weaknesses. I find the gifts that are made with love to be the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early Birthday, I hope you have a wonderful day. Thank you for the great recipe, I love Andes Mints so this sounds delicious.I will definitely have to try it.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy b-day in December! We are many...bwah ha ha!

    And that recipe, and all the recipes people keep posting...I'm dying! STOP IT!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm those sound soo soo good deff have to try it man those recipes sound soo soo good


    mortalsinn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even know what an Andes mint is, but I'm definitely going to find out. These sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy early birthday!!! Those cookies sound sinfully good! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leslie,
    Returning the favour from yesterday.
    One of my brother's birthdays is on December 27th. I think he also felt a little ripped off that we got gifts twice a year and he only got them once.
    The most awesome gift I ever received was an electric bike--think scooter. The most inexpensive awesome gift...
    A couple of years after my mom dead my aunt--her sister--sent me a Christmas card. Ah, just a card, I thought. I opened it and a picture of a young woman was inside. I looked at it more carefully and realized it was Mom. Well I bawled my eyes out, but they were good tears.
    Adding my voice to Gracen, happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Those cookies sounds so delicious! Will definitely try them out :-) I'm always on the lookout for great baking recipes.

    smaccall @ comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we need to send Nina some Andes Mints. Poor thing! My husband gets a box in his stocking every year! YUM! Add them to cookies? Sinful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! My cousin's b-day is the 24th. We have a long standing debate on who has it harder for b-days: his or mine... Jan 24. Doesn't sound bad until one realizes that everyone get the bills for Christmas right around my b-day. And the weather is worse (in my part of the country at least), so fewer people want to get together, either. But it is still my own day, not a major holiday when everyone is busy with other things; nor combining b-day gifts. So this has become a family joke over the years.

    The cookies sound delish! At the rate things are going here, you all could end up with a cookbook! And I haven't left the site yet not craving something sweet! But I get such great ideas...Thanks!

    vickykerr[at]sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, fellow Sagg. Those cookies sound awesome! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy early birthday. I once date a man whose birthday was on christma and he hated it. Not enough him time I guess. The cookies sound delish.
    meandi09@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes the bests someone can give you is something they spent time and patience on themselves. It seems to mean more. Me and my girls did this one year when things were tight, they made little mason jars frull of their cookies and the kids loved them. The girls were so thrilled and surprised that anyone could like a home-made gift. This teaches them something valuable.

    Merry Christmas
    Blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy early birthday!
    My grandson will be 21 the day after Christmas.

    The cookie's sound sinfully delicious.

    kissinoak at frontier dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy early Birthday!! Enjoy. Hope you get some cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the comments and birthday wishes, everyone! Our winner by dice roll is Estella! Congratulations! I will be sending you an e-mail and forwarding your e-mail addy to the review coordinator at Decadent, who will be sending you the free copy of "The Devil's Bidding".

    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cookies look good, I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to try this recipe. Also, happy birthday at bit early!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday. My brother's birthday is December 21. My mother when he was younger always tried to make a bigger deal of his Birthday because it was so close to Christmas. She didn't want anything to overshadow his day:)

    I have copied your cookie recipe. They look very tasty!! I will add them to my holiday sweets. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post got me to thinking about awesome gifts. For me it would be a dependable babysitter! I'd love to be able to take a break and get a little "me" time.

    Wonder why we as women always put ourselves last?

    Maybe I'll treat myself to these delicious cookies. Thanks for sharing.

    --Carlie
    carlieangelus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete